Posted by & filed under BioSafeDentistry.

Is Fluoride Really Poison?

Fluoride is a highly-dangerous substance that must be handled with care. Accidental over-ingestion of fluoride or even small amounts of exposure to some compounds containing fluoride can have serious health consequences. Despite these risks, the American government and dental professionals insist on exposing us to fluoride every day in our drinking water, toothpaste and other products.

A Concerning Laundry List of Deadly Uses

Many people are shocked to discover that many consumer products — bottled water, toothpaste, mouthwashes — contain fluoride.  Few consumers realize that sodium fluoride, the additive used in fluoridated toothpaste, can be lethal to a full-grown adult in doses as little as 5 to 10 grams.

What about fluoride in water supplies? Would you guess — or hope — that the fluoride added to your tap water is high quality chemical, like substances used to make medicines? Unfortunately, the fluoride added to community tap water is fluorosilicic acid,  a by-product of manufacturing phosphate fertilizers. Outside of water fluoridation, fluorosilicic acid is used in metal processing to convert aluminum ore into metal and refine lead.

What other products contain fluoride? Sodium fluoride is used as a base in many industrial pesticide applications. The compound sodium fluoroacetate is a common rodenticide, and sodium fluorosilicate is a common insecticide. Both are applied to crops to kill off these animals, not to improve the health of their teeth.

A Nightmare Scenario That Became Real

Advocates of using fluoride point to controlling its doses as a measure of safety. They assure us that they can monitor the amount that goes into water supplies and other products.

What they do not want to talk about are the mistakes that happen. The Village of Hooper Bay, Alaska saw an accidental release resulting in the overdose of most people living in the area. Soon, an outbreak of gastrointestinal problems resulted. 296 people in total were poisoned. One died. He had been vomiting continually, and in an effort to rehydrate he was drinking the contaminated water, poisoning himself further.

When testing the water, researchers were shocked to discover that the concentrations of fluoride had gotten so high. While the suggested dose of fluoride ranges from 0.5 to 1.0 milligrams per liter, the well water they tested had frighteningly high doses of 150 mg per liter.

This disturbing tale was published in the New England Journal of Medicine in 1994 but quickly forgotten. It illustrates that no matter how cautious municipal water fluoridation advocates assure us they can be, accidents do happen.

Learn more about the dangers of fluoride and how to avoid exposure by taking a look at our fluoride free dentistry services page.

You can also shop our entire collection of Fluoride-free toothpastes.

 

Leave a Reply