Posted by & filed under BioSafeDentistry.

What Are The Dangers Of Mercury For Kids?

 

Mercury Toxicity Facts for Kids

 

The dangers of mercury toxicity are well-known for adults, but children are especially sensitive to mercury.

Recently, scientific studies have proven that mercury poisoning can be caused by fish, power plants and other environmental factors. However, many of us don’t know that our children could be exposed to mercury through the amalgam fillings in their teeth.

Dental amalgam fillings are a mixture of silver, tin and other metals—but they are approximately 50% mercury. Over time, mercury vapor is released and absorbed by the lungs and body. If your child has amalgam fillings (“silver” fillings), it is important to understand the effects it could have on their health.

Mercury Toxicity in Children

Just like the symptoms of mercury poisoning in adults, symptoms in children can vary and are dependent on the length of exposure. Research has shown that mercury can greatly affect both physical and mental health in children. Signs of mercury toxicity in children can include but are not limited to:

  • Visual loss
  • Hearing loss
  • Motor impairment
  • Seizure disorders
  • Decrease in IQ
  • Muscle weakness
  • Lack of coordination

Mercury can pose a serious threat to growing children. Because of the above sensitivities and symptoms, amalgam should be—and often is—completely avoided for children’s teeth. In fact, Canada has banned amalgam use in children—and several countries have banned dentists from using amalgam on any patient, including adults.

If your child is experiencing any of the above symptoms after mercury exposure, it is important to express your concerns to your family physician or dentist. With proper health precautions, amalgam fillings can be safely removed.

For future fillings or dental procedures, call your dentist to discuss alternatives to amalgam fillings—ceramics and resin fillings are reliable and do not threaten your child’s health.

Mercury Poisoning in Babies

New mothers also need to be wary of mercury poisoning: levels of mercury can be found in the organs of fetuses. Developmental health is one of the primary concerns for an unborn baby exposed to mercury. Mercury exposure to babies while they are still in the womb can ultimately affect their memory, language skills and other essential aspects of their developmental health. Mercury can also be passed on to babies through breast milk. Be sure to discuss alternatives to amalgam (or the removal of amalgam fillings) with your dentist if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.

At BioSafeDentistry, we understand that your child’s health is of the utmost importance. On our website, we have provided a list of resources so you can better understand your child’s needs. We also sell a variety of products that are 100% safe for children to use.

If you are looking for a reliable dentist to care for your child’s teeth, you can use our website to find a mercury-free practice. If you have any more questions or concerns, feel free to contact us. Dental care is an essential aspect to our overall well-being, and we hope BioSafe Dentistry can help shape the future of your children’s health.

 

Keyword: Mercury Facts for Kids

 

Meta: Children could be exposed to mercury through amalgam fillings, so learn about these mercury poisoning facts for kids.

Leave a Reply